We can’t discuss mental health awareness enough on this podcast or in this profession. Substance abuse remains a huge issue that many lawyers, especially young lawyers, are dealing with.
Joining us today is Patrick Krill, the principal and founder of Krill Strategies. Patrick is a globally recognized leading authority on addiction and mental health issues in the legal profession. He is also a licensed attorney, board certified alcohol and drug counselor, author, advocate, and thought leader.
What we cover in this episode:
- Why is substance abuse such a huge problem in our profession
- Why the culture of the profession and law students validates the idea of self-medication
- What is alcoholism
- How can you recognize if you have an addiction problem
- Why denial of an addiction is incentivized by our egos, our concern over our professional competencies.
- What role do law firms play in helping lawyers who are addicted
- How to grow within a firm and attend social mixers when you have a problem
- The ABA and Hazelden Betty Ford foundation joint study
- What mental health issues are Baby Boomers experiencing and why we should be aware of it
- Why mindfulness and meditation, although important for overall lawyer wellness, is not a good replacement for professional help
All resources listed on Patrick’s site.